Monday, March 7, 2011

Viikko Kolmekymmentä

maanantai:
So today was a really early day, woke up and to the airport around 5:30, funny cause today is the first day of our week long winter break, and I got up 2 hours earlier than I would have for school. Check in and security at the Helsinki airport went really fast so soon my parents and lil'brother were out of site, headed back home. I hung around the airport until it got light outside. Sitting on a bench, people watching, trying to guess if they were going off to vacation, or going home from vacation, and what land they were from. Not easy but I guessed about everyone right : P Headed to the center. Hung around there for an hour, then got a train ticket for 11, had an hour more to wait so I stuck around the station cause I was tired. There were some interesting folks who spend time in the train station... real interesting. I got to Tampere and planned on checking when the bus would head back, then spend some time shopping in the city, but once I got to the bus station, there was a bus there waiting, and I didn't feel like walking around anymore, so I just got on and headed home. Chilled for the rest of the day, I've been in 'go' mode for the past couple weeks, and it's not over yet!

tiistai:
Today Laura, Sanni, and I went to little Sweden (aka Ikea) A giant store full of anything to do with home decor... huge, we got lost many times and took many pictures. Found icecream for 50 cents! nice! Went we were done with Ikea, we went to the other mall, poked around, found my friend Niina in the grocery store and creeped on her for a while, popping out at her from behind the yoga matts, lots of fun. Then back home and chilling, catching up on Chelsea Lately online (almost the best show ever)

keskiviikko:
Early day again today. The fam headed out for a 5 hour drive North-ish to a place called Tahko vuori, A ski/holiday resort. The parking lot was on the lake... like literally all the cars were parked on the ice of the frosen lake. I know crazy huh! And on another part of the lake was a race track, you could pay 150€ to partake in a race, using one of their race cars, I didn't get to see a race happen, but for 150 it better be a pretty awesome race! Roosa and I went skiing. The mountain was much bigger than the mountain we went to on the Lapland tour. I think 24 routes down the mountain, and bunch of toe lifts and two chair lifts, so it was really neat! We skiied the entire rest of the day, and had tacos for lunch, which is now funny to me, cause the place is called tahko (pronouced pretty much like taco)

torstai:
Woke up, and headed out skiing again. Break for lunch was at a fire pit area at the bottom of the mountain were Susanna and Juha (along with many other people) were cooking sausages on a grate over a fire. Everyone kept an eye on their sausages, making sure they stayed in line, in their area. It was neat, and yummy! A few more hours of skiing and then we decided to switch to snow boarding! Some trips down the baby hill (or should I say falls) and we got on the lift to the medium babyish hill. I fell half way up the lift so started from there, Roosa made it the full way up. I actually think I got the semi hand of boarding, just don't fall. After snowboarding we headed in and went swimming. There was a cool slide, and an outdoor pool. We threw snowballs at eachother while trying to stay in the semi heated water for warmth. Pizza for dinner! Yum and we all were just so tired that we pretty much went right to sleep.


perjantai:
Breakfast and eatting leftovers from the fridge because we were heading back. Another 5 hour car ride. This time I wasn't so tired so I couldn't fall asleep, so I played the alphabet car game, which was hard here because they don't even use a lot of the letters so I had to keep an eye on the car's license plates which were all dirty because It was a bit above freezing, so the road sludge was crazy and the plates sometimes were unreadable. But I got through the alphabet in the 5 hours, except for the Åå, which I don't know if I count cause that's swedish and I'm in Finland, and a non-Swedish speaking part of Finland too... So we got home and I was dead tired after the ride and two days of skiing! SLEEP!


lauantai:
Daddy's Birthday today! I skyped with them a bit, then just hung around most of the day... Cut my hair... the usual haha. At night I watched The Miss Suomi (Miss Finland) contest, It was interesting, there was one of the contestant's final 10 who lives in Nokia, like half hour from my house! It was funny to see that in the contestaint's photos, they were smiling with teeth. But I've noticed that non-contestant Finns don't smile with teeth when taking a picture... Intersting... What do they find beautiful then, a toothy grin or a non toothy grin... yet another thing to figure out about these Finns.


sunnuntai:
Early day today, It's Rotary's winter day at a local ski mountain about 30mins from where I live. I'll be trying my hand at snow boarding again so... We got there, and I got to see all my rotary friends again! Awesome!!! We hit the slopes, most of them had never skiied or snow boarded before Finland, but the ones who have been here all winter (we call oldies, all the kids who came to Finland in August like me) Then the newbies are from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Argentina, This was one of the newbies first times going down a snow covered mountain, but they all caught on really fast! We had more sausages at a grill ontop of the moutain, I think sausages are like their picknic food. Then just hung out. Soon the day was over and everyone left, lots of hugs all around. And I went home and realized school started again on Monday... I hadn't done any homework, not even sure what homework I had because the week before winter holiday I hadn't really gone to school because my parents and brother were visiting... woops, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment