Sunday, October 10, 2010

Viikko Yhdeksän

maanantai:
Headed off to school on Yrjö this morning, listening to my ipod, as always... after passing the libaray I heard someone talking, and looked over and this old man, riding his bike paralle to mine was chatting away to me, I didn't catch all he was saying, something about rain and the sky and mopoautos (the baby cars that you can drive when you turn 15) I didn't want him to figure out that I'm not Finnish, but I also couldn't think of anything good to say on the spot so I just nodded my head saying "niin, joo.... niin!!!.... joo..." It worked pretty well, and then he rode on straight, and I turnned "Moro" I said, and he waved... wonder if I'll ever see that old man again... Later that day Eija and I went to the libary, then we took a new way home, which answered my question of where that other road went to, cause we ended up driving that whole road but from the other direction so I didn't know it was my mystery road until the end of it when I realized where we were. It actually is a really cool road, with a couple farms, a lake, and a 700 year old, famous tree!!! I can't believe I'm living within a kilometer of a 700 year old famous tree!!! AWESOME!

tiistai:
I got to sleep in today cause I didn't have a class first period. That was nice! But surprisingly, even though I only had 3 classes, the day felt really long to me! It may have been because I was expecting the day to go by quickly, so I over-anticipated it... hmmm Later I went to the Kipputori (the flea market wonderland) I found a nice scarf, shirt, wife-beater, and hair bow, and spent a grand total of 4€ nice!

keskiviikko:
Puhalica (band) today, It's getting darker and darker earlier and earlier! riding back I realized that there are street lamps everywhere, and for good reason too! Sauna tonight! It's nice after a day in the cold to get heated up at night, it makes you kinda tired too, so you sleep really well!
torstai:
Today was 2 months since I left New York, wow! I had a study hall after lunch so I rode my bike to the book store to order my books, the older woman who owns the book store dosen't speach English, but I guess I know enough basics to get what I need across, and it helpped that before I went, I wroted down what I needed so she read the book titles that I needed instead of me having to remember and sound them all out. I think she said that they would be in next wednesday, but I'm not a totally sure... hmmm. Today was a long day to, we had dance course 5th class so we got out at 4:05. Eija and I got home at the same time. She then showed me around a near-by town, Ikaalinen, she said it is one of the oldest towns in Finland. Wow! And she showed me where the ice roads go.... I was like wait, people drive on the ice of the frosen lakes in Finland?!?!? I guess they do. Wow! I'll have to check that out when it's frosen enough! (Which might not be too far off cause Eija also said she heard on the news that snow may be coming next week!) Then we went to a sauna night. A group that Anssi is in rented a sauna lodge for the night. It was great! First you get all warm in the sauna, then you go out to the lake and swim in the extremely cold water (12 degrees C) the air was 8 C but the water felt way colder!!! Then you go back and forth from sauna to lake as many times as you want. I went swimming 3 times. It was actually really enjoyable! Then we went to the smoke sauna, It was my first time in a smoke sauna, the air tasted different (kinda smoky but not in the bad way) I think that the smoke sauna is the more traditional sauna, and there arn't may around anymore because they are harder to start up and work. So I was lucky to get in one! Then we ate makkara (sausages) and candy.

perjantai:
Today, the 2 month anniversary of being Suomissa, I cried : P I got to sleep in cause I only had two classes, and they were both after lunch. I ment to go in for lunch, but my plans changed when all my clothes were still not dry from washing them. So my jeans were a little wet when I rushed into school, hoping I wasn't late for class, I wasn't I had about 15 minutes. haha. Then it was a lazy day after that.

lauantai:
After waking up, Anssi went off on his motorcycle, and Eija and I went to the (tori) similar to a farmers' market. We bought musta makkara (black sausage) and some amazing, really big, really good, jelly doughnuts, I think they might have been in the shape of a cats head, but I don't know if that was intentional, or just I see cats everywhere... Well anyway they were good! Then we went to Tokmanni and tried on all the hats, it was so much fun, some of those hats are crazy! Then we cleaned up around the house, and just chilled for the rest of the day. When Anssi came home he was carring a big box with a picture of a trout on it, hmmm I thought, that looks like a cherry box from the store.... AHHHH MY PACKAGE!!! It was like Christmas morning! I got Skittles, Oreos, Marshmellows, Candy corn, Silly bands, Skittles, Long johns, and Kristy Barn Tee-Shirts!!! Ima be representing KB in the FI!

sunnuntai:
After lunch Eija and I organized the attic, she showed me her dolls from when she was little. They were in really good condition, unlike my Paige Doll, who is practically bald, and has magic marker stained on her face. (how I got magic marker to stain, I don't know...) There also was an adorable baby carage that Juhani and Antti used. Then I took a bike ride. I invented biking photography, (it's where you take pictures... wait for it.... WHILE you ride your bike) I know, I'm a genious : P I got some pretty interesting pictures, I think I'll become a pro bikegratographer (and look, I just made up a word to go along with it) Later that day, Eija, Anssi, and I went to the Rotary's concert at the Hämeenkyrö church that was raising money for the End Polio Now cause. It was a great program, a singer, pianist, violinist, and guitarist. All the songs were beautiful, and one of them was Amazing Grace, but in finnish. Which made me wonder, what language was that song origanaly wrote for?

3 comments:

  1. "and some amazing, really big, really good, jelly doughnuts, I think they might have been in the shape of a cats head " I think they might have been POSSUMUNKKIs ! If they were all sugary on the top and there's something like strawberryjelly in the inside ? Definitely a possumunkki. (possu = pig, munkki = donut) :D yum !

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah they must be possumunkki, they were sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete