Sunday, October 3, 2010

Viikko Kahdeksan

maanantai:
Half way through my bowl of porage this morning it dawned on me that my dream last night was almost half in finnish! Sweetness! Cause I hear that when you start dreaming in another language it means that you are becoming fluent. So that's a good sign! Had my music test today, hyvin meni, (it went well.) I could have gone home but instead I hung out with Sanni, we ate lunch, then went to the Munkkilja (a bakery across the street from the school) I got a munkki with banana frosting, she got one with strawberry frosting. Then we went back to school and discovered the student lounge. It's a great place with couches, wheely chairs, a computer, a microwave, TV, playstation, radio, and a kitchen sink, literally. Then Sanni's bus came and I rode home on my bike, which Piia and I named: Yrjö (a really, really, finnish name.)

tiistai:
I didn't have a test today, so I didn't have to go to school. I was thinking about going in for lunch, but was too lazy. Good thing I didn't because Eija came home with Hesburger just for me. I have never been to a Hesburger but now I can say I've had it. It was really good too! I then headed off to the Rotary meeting, I had my presentation to give. That also went really well. They asked me if we get snow EVERY year. It's kind of funny because I think it's hard for them to belive that places south of Finland can get any snow at all. But we get snow days, (they don't here, I've asked many people, they get probably 2 to 3 times as much snow as us, and they still go to school! yeah can't wait!!!) I also met a girl, Asta, at the meeting who spent last year in Germany. She had to give her presentation too. Germany seems like a cool place.

keskiviikko:
Again I didn't have to go to school. Eija made lunch then went to work, and I went on a walk to figure out if these two roads near my house connect. So I started walking down one of them... and walking.... and walking. In the forest between the two roads is a huge cell phone tower so I was able to use that as a reference to where I was. The road that I took got very close to where it should meet up with the other road, then it split into three roads... ugh One was headed in the complete wrong direction for meeting up with the other road, one headed into the woods, and the last was headed in the right direction but soon dissolved into a bunch of brush... So I gave up, walked to the tower and then home to get ready for band. I'll have to walk the other road and see where that gose next time I'm free!

torstai:
Once again, no school for me! Eija took me out for lunch, a little old place just down the road. Hot dog soup found me again! (Makkara keito if you want to get technical) After lunch she showed me around the place. It used to be a farm that belonged to seven sisters a very long time ago. When they all pasted away, a group of older men took it on themselves to fix up all the buildings (they were in really bad shape) and make it into what it is today. One building to get lunch in, one that you can rent a hall to have a party in, one that you can rent to have a dance in, one that you can rent for wedding party (with a honeymoon suite above) and also a smoke sauna that you can rent. It was a really cool place! Lots of charm! Later that day I spent 2 and a half hours hitting up all of the grocery stores in town. Just for fun, and now that I think about it, there are a ton of grocery stores for such a small town, K Market, Valintatalo, 2 Siwa, Tokmanni, K Supermarket (Super Päivä), and S Market. And S Market is still my favorite with Super Päivä a close second (they always have bread samples out so...)

perjantai:
School. I had an English test so I had to go... I think I failed it : P wouldn't that be funny! Then Sanni came over, we watched I, Robot with Will Smith (love him!) watched Youtube vidieos, "Shoes, lets get some shoes" never made it to Finland, sad. Then we made waffles (the most amazing waffles ever!) they were so good, and I had bought this Maito-Suklaalevite sauce stuff, that went really well with waffles, it tastes like those hershey kisses 'hugs' (the ones with white and milk chocolate swirled) but at a peanut butter consistency. Anyway, really good on waffles! Antti and Juhani both came home!

lauantai:
I realized that I now have a better understanding of how cats or dogs can tell when they're owners are going to leave for a while. Things started changing, I didn't know where we were gonna go, that was if it was a "we" thing. But sure enought within five minutes we were out the door and headed to Kesä mökki (summer cabin) we raked leaves and cleaned up, getting ready to shut it down for the winter, moving fire wood, lots and lots of fire wood : P. Then the sauna, Eija and I dared to swim in the lake, It was super cold, and I forgot I had my 3€, talking watch from Tampere on, so now that's dead... oh well. Then it was the boys' turn, none of them dared to go in the lake. I don't think it was that bad, and I hear that in the winter they cut a swimming hole out of the ice and people go swimming and saunaing then too, I've got to try that!

sunnuntai:
We spent the day in Tampere! First we went to this 'Home Expo' with lots of infromation and products to get if you are building a house, or adding on to you house, or decorating your house. Like the free-stuff building at the State Fair! It was really cool and you could enter to win different things, like money, products, gift cards... cross my fingers that I win! Then we went to Manhattan, yup we flew all the way there and back in a day. Nahh it was a dinner place. I got a taco, Finnish tacos have a asain flare to them, (they are served with rice that tasted asian to me... haha idk) but it was good! Then we walked through the fish market, Anssi bought these little breaded fish (the size of larger minnows) from a food vender. Yup head, skeleton, and all! They actually were pretty good, you grab em by the tail, one bit and all that's left is the tail (which you don't eat) But I don't think they would sell very well in America, nahh...

No comments:

Post a Comment